Thursday, March 19, 2009

A Changing World...

Wow... I just realized today that I haven't posted anything since late December. It's not that I haven't had anything to say, just that I haven't been feeling up to writing. I don't want my blogs to be all about gloom and doom and the sad things that sometimes happen in life...yet it seems like the words flow a lot more freely when you're pondering a loss.

With that thought in mind, this past week has been really difficult. Late last week, my boss, one of my dearest and closest friends resigned from his position. I don't think it really started to hit me until yesterday. God am I going to miss him. He has been...no...he is the best boss I've ever had in my entire life for too many reasons. I love him with all of my heart, and it's going to be very difficult both professionally and personally to not have the opportunity to work with him.

I realize that all good things sometimes must come to the end...but it certainly doesn't make it any easier to stomach. I've recently been dealing with a bad flare-up of my RA (arthritis) and have been in a lot of pain. Now the emotional pain is rearing its ugly head.

I've known him for 20 years of my life, didn't see him for 18, and have worked with him for almost exactly a year. One year has changed my life, my perspective, my thought process...my idea of what makes a complete working relationship and friendship...and it hurts. It stings. It's making me very sad right now.

He had to move on, was completely justified in doing so...has a great opportunity to do what he does best, and I sincerely wish him all of the best of the best in his life, always have and always will. I hope that I will some day have the chance to work with him again. Reflecting on some of the highlights of our professional time together, I can honestly and freely admit, that we did an AWESOME job on many of our collaborations. Singly, he allowed me to expand my horizons, encouraged my creativity, and provided me with an honest ear. He never blew sunshine up my rear; never told me something was great when it wasn't. He's always been clear on areas where I could use improvement... That is part of what makes a GREAT-STELLAR-boss. He allowed me to shine...reminded me sometimes that it's okay to take credit where credit is do, and often pointed out my bigger accomplishments to our colleagues and upper management.

Personally, he is my confidante, a true friend, someone I enjoy spending time with...intellectually has challenged me...and has been there for me when I have needed him the most. I'm proud to say that I've done the same for him, sometimes being brutally honest. My friendship with him is what I think the definition in the dictionary should look like. A fair and kind and thoughtful give and take, lots of laughter, sometimes silly, sometimes tearful, but always well meant and caring.

Thank you for all that you have given me; your support, your love, your unwaivering kindness and determined strength.

I hope he always knows that I'm here...and even though we won't be seeing each other every work day anymore, that the phone and email are wonderful tools of communication.

Thank you so very much for letting me be me, and for embracing our differences, and above all for your friendship. You will be missed.

No comments: