Wednesday, March 12, 2008

A Mixed Bag

Today was my last full day at my job. My co-workers surprised me by taking me to my favorite Thai restaurant and followed our gathering with a chocolate frosted cake with, "We'll Miss You Kathey," on it. One of my co-workers, the CTO of the company, gave me 10 lbs. of Mike -N- Ikes, which just so happens to be my favorite candy. It was such a sweet gesture as I've always kept the office stocked with treats. When people were off their diets, the dish on my desk was generally filled with all kinds of candy, and when most were watching their waistlines, I'd go to the store on my way to work to get a variety of fruits to fill it with. Another went out and got me my favorite Starbuck's Cinnamon Dulce Latte drink, and another gave me a card with a Starbuck's coffee card, so I can "keep my strength up for my new job." It's those types of gestures that make me thankful for the decision I made to come and work for them just over a year ago; and it makes it even harder to say goodbye.

The CEO of the company and I have grown quite close, and it was the most difficult part of leaving...telling him that I had found a great opportunity. He's been my lunch companion this past year...to the Thai place, and Indian place, and Portillos too. Throughout our time together, I got to know him on a different level, one that you would rarely expect in a business setting, and I'll surely miss it. He's been really good to me, and I know all of my efforts have been sincerely appreciated. Throughout the day, he made his usual dry and sarcastic comments, wishing that I would get fired from my new job so I could come back.

I'll have to be honest, as frustrated as I've gotten with certain aspects of my position, I'm going to miss it...and miss everyone involved. It's rare in this world to come across such geniune people. People who truly recognized that even though I've decided to move on, it was for the best for me, and for my future.

It makes me realize that as long as you are a good person and strive to excel in every situation...positive things will come your way. It has given me hope for all that is to come and above all it makes me thankful.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only job I ever left that was like that I got fired from so I never got a chance to tell people goodbye or have the we'll miss you lunch.

PSOED said...

I've left other places and was well liked, but no one went out of their way as much as this group of people did today! It was really nice.

Melanie said...

Sounds like a good bunch, hopefully they'll still let you in on office happy hours...

Oh yeah, you still need to send me the deets about your new J.O.B....

¡Viva Ilanit! said...

Kathey you will truely be missed at Tap I am sure! You were truely the heart of that company!

katsmeow said...

Mmm! Thai and Portillos...two of my favorites. Ya just can't get good stuff like that out this way. As for the new job...I think leaving old jobs are always supposed to be bittersweet. That's how I've always felt when I've left my old positions. Sorry it took me so long to check out your blog again...I've just been crazy busy, too.