Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Quotes and This and That

I'm tired today. I didn't stay up all that late last night, but for some reason I don't feel rested. It's probably because I'm having pain in my legs... still! UGH. I hope it gets figured out soon. I went to a new doctor at the beginning of the week. Her bedside manner is terrible. While I was trying to explain my symptoms, she kept cutting in and didn't seem to be listening to anything I said. I'm sure she sees tons of patients, one with symptoms similar to mine, but geez lady, fricking LISTEN to me.

I also appreciated the fact that she was plugging some pretty hardcore rheumatoid arthritis medications. The side effects seem worse than my actual condition! Let's see, there's the one that you have to go and get infusions for every six months; and of course you have to have regular blood work done, because it might cause a tumor disorder. NEXT. Okay, then there's the one that requires frequent eye exams, as it can cause permanent retinal damage. Great, I'm not in pain anymore and my joints are protected, but I'm blind!!! NEXT. The other one has a brochure with people grilling out and the like, but it causes all kinds of horrible things to occur, and had a tag line that if you're "planning on becoming pregnant...blah blah blah...it can cause serious birth defects." I can't get pregnant, so I guess I'm safe! HAH! No thanks. When I mentioned that I didn't want to take drugs that are used as chemotherapy, she got all pissy and defensive with me... sorry if I don't want to have permanent hair loss (and yes that was one of the side effects for two of the great medications she recommended).

So basically, I am going to see what the blood work results and x-rays are like and probably go to another doctor. I'm too old to deal with a snotty doctor! What many of these people don't seem to realize is that they work for us. We're their customer, and just because I don't have a medical license, doesn't mean that I'm uninformed or an idiot! Okay, rant done.

Now for some quotes...

A. Powell Davies:
Life is just a chance to grow a soul.

Abraham Lincoln:
And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Albert Einstein:
Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile.

Alice Walker:
Deliver me from writers who say the way they live doesn't matter. I'm not sure a bad person can write a good book. If art doesn't make us better, then what on earth is it for.

Anais Nin:
Dreams pass into the reality of action. From the actions stems the dream again; and this interdependence produces the highest form of living.

Anais Nin:
Life is a process of becoming, a combination of states we have to go through. Where people fail is that they wish to elect a state and remain in it. This is a kind of death.

Bertrand Russell:
Three passions have governed my life: The longings for love, the search for knowledge, And unbearable pity for the suffering of [humankind].
Love brings ecstasy and relieves loneliness. In the union of love I have seen In a mystic miniature the prefiguring vision Of the heavens that saints and poets have imagined.
With equal passion I have sought knowledge. I have wished to understand the hearts of [people]. I have wished to know why the stars shine.
Love and knowledge led upwards to the heavens, But always pity brought me back to earth; Cries of pain reverberated in my heart Of children in famine, of victims tortured And of old people left helpless. I long to alleviate the evil, but I cannot, And I too suffer.
This has been my life; I found it worth living.
adapted

Captain Jean-Luc Picard:
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived.
played by Patrick Stewart, from the film "Star Trek: Generations"

Carl Jung:
There are as many nights as days, and the one is just as long as the other in the year's course. Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word 'happy' would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness.

No comments: