Saturday, July 5, 2008

A Special Place

Very recently, I returned from an extended business trip to New Orleans. Throughout my stay, I discovered a multitude of things about myself, my abilities, my strengths, and weaknesses.

NOLA has a special place in my heart, and always will. Its haunting beauty and magnificent architecture drew me in, just as it did the last time I visited. I absolutely loved having the opportunity to walk down the cobblestone streets...excited at the prospect of finding a unique and inviting place to eat or revel in the sounds and smells of a complicated city. I'd like to say the city and its people have recovered since Katrina, however, it's obvious that there is still healing to be had. The spirit isn't quite where it should be, yet it's only been three years, and with the amount of devastation that occurred, as with anything else...it will take time.

A friend of mine came in for a visit. He's originally from NOLA, and was ever so kind to take his summer vacation during the time I was there. It was fun to have a tour guide, and to reconnect with someone who has played an important role in my life for many years. It was important to have this time to share...to be shown around by someone who truly has a great appreciation for a place he once called home, and in his heart, still very much does.

It was a time to share with another very close friend of mine; a person who I feel at times, probably knows better than I know myself. In our free time, we were able to explore the city together and savor the flavors of the local cuisine. I honestly didn't expect to spend so much time laughing or learning about my capacity to be completely honest and open.

The working aspect of the trip was grueling. My feet are still thanking me for all the punishment I doled out...but in the end, it was definitely worth it. On many fronts, our show was a personal and professional success. It was a treat to get to know people I see or talk to nearly everyday at work, yet hadn't had a real chance to get to know on a personal level. Again, I'm certain that I'm exactly where I should be. The possibilities are endless, as long as I put in the neccessary hard work and continue to persevere in order to reach my career-related dreams.

Personally, I feel like I was gone for a decade. What I learned about myself while away...is the fact that life is far more complex than I'd given it credit for. In my opinion, many of us would merely like to tie our lives up in a prettily wrapped box and put it away, yet in reality, it's not always going to be that way. Life is majestic, sometimes magical, and above all...all that you make it. I've always been one to view the world as just black and white, allowing little to no room for shades of gray. Through some of my recent experiences, it's evident that I need to open my eyes and accept that there is so much more to be enjoyed if I allow myself the room to grow and learn.

So where am I today? In a contemplative place...one where the forks in the road have increased. My heart and mind have opened up further than I ever could have anticipated. My typical reaction to situations is to either turn the switch off completely or run at half-speed; not anymore. No matter if it at times hurts, today I'm choosing to embrace whatever the future holds...whatever the challenges...the good...the bad...and the gray.

No comments: