Monday, July 28, 2008

The Final Countdown

And so it begins, I'm inside of 48 hours before my trip up North. Can you tell I'm excited, maybe just a smidge. Jodee, Gabs and I finalized our Thursday night plans. We're heading to an Italian restaurant, Al Vento in Minneapolis. The menu looks delicious! It's been way too long since I've seen Jodee. She's makes everyone else look like they have nothing to do. Not only does she run a catering company, but she's also an attorney and in the midst of raising two small children. CRAZY!

I can still vividly remember the day I first met her. We were on the dork, er I mean the honors floor at Winona State...our eyes met...and we knew we had tragically been put on the wrong floor with the absolutely worst possible roommates. My roommate didn't say more than three sentences to me...unless of course one of my guy friends stopped over to see me...than all of a sudden she'd puff out her chest and pretend to be a nice person! Jodee's roommate was a recluse, rarely ever leaving their shared space...and let me tell you...it was not wanted!

We devised a plan about two months into school...we decided we'd make it unbearable for our roommates, so much so, they'd no longer want to live with Miss and Miss cool. Well it worked...mine dropped out (it really had very little to do with me) at the end of the first quarter...and Jodee's...well I'll have to admit, she took it as quite a blow that my dear friend was deserting her. Soon we were in our own room...and it was kismet. Now don't get me wrong, we had our moments. Jodee makes me look like I'm a morning person. She would always insist on complete and total silence until she'd had her shower and her first pot of coffee (yes pot, not cup)...so I'd do little things to bug her if I was in the mood. I'd say something like,

"Good MORNING SUNSHINE. Are you ready for this BEAUTIFUL and sunshine-filled day?"...

The reply was usually somewhere along the lines of "F@#$ you, B@#%$!!," followed by a slam of the door. IT always managed to put a smile on my face!

No matter our little squabbles, she was one of the BEST roommates I've ever had...she and Jen actually are my top two. We shared everything (except of course for boyfriends...fortunately we never had the same taste in men). Although we've grown apart in both distance and time, I know that no matter what, she'll always be there for me...she always has.

I truly adore and treasure all of my friendships. Someone I know would say I'm oozing...I suppose I am in a way... but than again I mean what I say and I say what I mean.

Another friend of mine from college is having major surgery on Thursday. I wish I could be there for her...but feel fortunate for her, that she has so many dear friends and family members to support her. This woman is one of the strongest, funniest, outrageous and loving people I've ever had the great fortune to have come across in my life. She makes me proud to be her friend!

I'm so fortunate in so many ways...but the one thing in my life that is set in stone...my rock...are my close friendships. I'd even go as far as to say some define me. It feels so good to know that I have people in my life who are there to build me up, when there are so many people out there who would be more than happy to watch you fall.

Lately, I've been reaching out a little farther than I typically do, and it's been such a gift that those around me have collectively been able to hug and support me in so many different ways. I have a dear friend who has encouraged me to go back to school, while another has held my hand over the phone and reassured me that I'll be okay. Another few have simply managed to make me laugh and left a smile on my face. These memories...and relationships...make it able to stand a little taller no matter the challenges I face.

No comments: