Initially I planned on naming this blog, "Mix Tapes and Lavender Incense," however a friend of mine recently told me that alphabetical order is an important writing tool, so I changed my mind.
I can clearly and fondly remember making mix tapes when I was a pre-teen and teenager...back in the day where you had to literally hold the tape recorder up to the stereo (aka THE BOOMBOX). Nowadays where we have all of this new fangled technology and you can burn a CD in a blink of an eye...you would think something would be lost...yet I still find it to be exciting. Whether you're making it for yourself or for someone you care about...the concept is still pretty cool!~
So tomorrow after I go to the hairdresser and make myself blonder...I'm going to make a mix CD. I have this friend.....DJ Yehuda...who makes the most incredible mixes...comingling Public Enemy and NWA with Katy Perry and Elton John and somehow makes it work. My Yehuda is a Yoda or Yogi of sorts when it comes to making magical musical memories...so I am hoping to return the favor. Although I don't have the same love for techno....I am hoping that I can educate him in the fineness of other genres.
Friendship can be an interesting experience...over the past six months I've learned that there can be almost no limits on the things that you can accomplish when you have the right people in your life. When the right people are pulling for you and exerting their positive energy/influence/karma...etc. anything is possible.
For the first time in a long time...I feel like I am returning to the likeness of what I once was. The shell of mediocrity I'd allowed myself to envelope in, is gone and redressed with smarter style. Although things are a bit tumultuous right now...I've realized that no matter what...as long as I have a good sense of who I am...the real me...I'm going to be okay...even if it takes longer than I want it to.
Thank you DJ Yehuda for bringing me back to me. Who knew that a little bit of courage gained through the sounds of a mix tape and little bit of lavender would do the trick.
Thursday, August 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oh My God. I thought I was the only one left who loved to make CDs for people!! Yes, I have held a tape recorder to the radio. I can still remember the famous "like a virgin" recording with my 2 brothers fighting in the background. I love technology.
p.s. sorry I missed you again. Family shit. You know...
Post a Comment