Thursday, June 12, 2008

It's All About Perspective

To say this was a challenging week would be putting it mildly.
I have the day off tomorrow, and I plan on relishing in my "me" time. I'm going to likely get my car washed and detailed, and that's about all I have on my agenda.

Today, a close friend of mine made me take a step back and realize something about myself. It's something I've known for a long time, yet not a concept I truly embrace.

I rarely let people in. Rarely allow people to get to know the real me. I have a tendency to turn personal questions back on the asker. It's easier to get to know the inner workings of another person's psyche than open up and share the details of my own life and experiences. I'm not quite sure why exactly that is. Is it fear? Fear of defining my weaknesses? Have I built my wall so high that I won't ever let anyone in? Why am I so guarded with my emotions?

Some of it probably stems back to childhood. I was made fun of a lot by my peers...and it's a pain that I don't know if I'll ever really put away. It really doesn't pop into my thinking anymore, but there are certainly remnants in my actions.

What's odd is that I really do want people to get to know who I am inside and out. It's clearly something I need to work on.

Maybe it's time for me to start letting go and open the door. Who knows how freeing it will inevitably be!

No comments: