Monday, April 7, 2008

Small Miracles

Through my experience on MySpace, a friend of mine sent me a link to a little boy in Kansas whose parents created a page for him. His name is Jaxon and he's probably one of the cutest little boys I've ever laid my eyes on. His big blue eyes tell a story, one of courage and hope.

Just shy of three-years of age, he was diagnosed with Metastatic Stage 4 Hepatoblastoma (better known as liver cancer). I've been following his story for quite some time, and am amazed at the strength and determination both he and his family have.

Over the past several months his little body has undergone two liver transplants, and is currently in the slow and tenuous recovery process.

His parents have been by his side the entire time. It's amazing how strong they are considering they recently maxed out on their life time health insurance benefits, not only for their son, but the mother and daughter are without due to his illness.

While they would love nothing more than to be by his side 24-7, both have had to return to work in order to pay their mounting bills. It's a little discouraging to hear that this all just can't be taken care of. If I had a spare million dollars to give, I'd send a check right now!

Although I'm not a religious person, I'm a spiritual one, and their story is proof that faith can keep you in a positive state of mind, no matter what obstacles lay before you. Even in the most frustrating of circumstances, they manage to pull it together and stay strong for the sake of their child. If I were faced with the same situation, I don't know if I could handle it quite as gracefully.

If you have a moment, click his name above and check out the online journal his mother updates on a regular basis. If anything, it will make you feel thankful for all that you have. It also might make you believe in miracles, for this little boy certainly is.

No comments: