Recently I watched one of my all time favorite sappy movies...Hope Floats with Harry Connick Jr., and Sandra Bullock. For those of you who haven't seen it, it's all about a woman who molded and changed herself into a creature she thought her husband wanted. Along the way, she became a shell of herself, and ultimately finds her way back. At one point in the movie, her mother, played by Gena Rowlands (one of my favorite actresses), talks about how fulfilling and fortunate her life has been and says, "My cup runneth over..." It's by far on my top 10 list of favorite movie quotes.
I'm at a point in my life where I feel exactly how she expressed it. Things are finally coming together; the stars have aligned...finally. I just got off the phone with another friend, a person I've known since the 8th grade. A person who I cherish and am geniunely thankful for. She and I have had many similar struggles and experiences over the years and can talk for hours on end, just like the other friend I wrote about last night.
How lucky am I? I have so many special people in my life...so many who support me...trust me...love me. Through all of the obstacles and challenges I've faced and sometimes brought on myself, at the end of the day I'm still standing...and with a strong force behind me and by my side. I wouldn't change ANYTHING for the world. Without all of the hiccups, I don't think I'd have such a true appreciation for all of the good things, no matter how big or small.
My life isn't difficulty free, and it's far from perfect, yet the imperfections are part of what makes it all the more special in my eyes. Lately I've been waking up everyday, and actually looking forward to going to work. Looking forward to a successful career. Looking forward to sinking my teeth into everything that makes my life satisfying and real.
If I appear to be gloating, it's unintentional. I'm just so enamored with my new found attitude and perspective and outlook. It's taken me so long to get here....and I will never ever return to my old way of thinking. My energy level is so much higher than it used to be. It's amazing how shutting the door on the pity party routine can make the sun shine a little brighter.
Wednesday, April 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
K
It was like no time had passed when we spoke on the phone last night. Easily several more hours could have passed catching up and remembering when. Ah, yes, high school. The most uncomfortable and awkward years I have been through to date. I was terrified most of the time and found comfort in a few select friends such as yourself that we just as "weird"!
Post a Comment