Monday, September 14, 2009

I Had The Time of My Life...

I knew it was coming; Patrick Swayze died today. While I didn't know him personally, he left me with some happy memories. Dirty Dancing was released as I was entering the tumultuous world of adolescence. It came at a time when my beloved Aunt Aggie was dying of breast cancer. My cousin, her daughter...and I spent an afternoon with the VCR watching it over and over. We couldn't get enough of Johnny and Baby. We laughed and sang and danced around the sun room at my aunt and uncle's house, forgetting for a few moments about what was to come in real life. It was a comfort then, and somehow the sweetness and innocence of the characters and storyline has stayed with me into adulthood.
My love affair with Patrick Swayze continued on to Ghost. His love...his character's true and deep love for Demi Moore made me hope that I'd get a glimpse...touch that feeling someday.
His charming ways in my opinion (even with some of his lesser films) translated vividly on the silver screen. In real life his love affair with his wife made me love him all the more. While he wasn't perfect, he owned up to his flaws and tried to be a better person. His rigorous honesty made me admire him all the more. His imperfections made him all the more real.
His struggle with cancer and his eagerness to fight for his own life...remarkable.
He will be missed.

No comments: