This afternoon, I had the great fortune...honor...joy...of babysitting my niece. She is truly an amazing little girl. Everytime I see her, I feel blessed to have her in my life. She's growing up so fast. It's absolutely beyond me how intelligent she is; she can already count to 20, and say her ABC's, and is like a little mini-parrot, and all this at just over two years old. Her little personality makes its statement, and it's clear she's related to me, as she already has a love for clothing and shoes, and books.
Her smile warms my heart; her mere presence lights up every room she enters. I'm sure everyone feels this way about a child they're related to, and I know I'm biased, but I'm telling you...this little girl is going to be something big and special someday....and in so many ways, already is.
I don't get to see her as much as I'd like to, but I call her on the phone frequently. My favorite words uttered from her tiny mouth, "Hi Kathey. I Lub You." Those two small sentences warm my heart. No matter how hard or challenging a day I've had, once I hear her utter her statement, I feel that all is right in good in this world.
Her hugs, and infectious laughter as she sits with her eyes glued to the television stating, "Elmo. He's so funny," her giggles permeating the room.
It makes me long to be a mother. Her soft baby smell, and small delicate features attached to ginormous feet (her mother is over 6'1") make me want to hold her all the more tighter; protect her from everything that might be out there.
As I left today, my mother took her to my parent's home to spend the night. I helped her put on her shoes and jacket, and cute little hat. She put her hand in mine as I calmly requested she put her other on the railing to go down the front steps. We walked together, hand-in-hand and I scooped her into my arms to place her safely in her car seat.
A tinge of sadness crept into my stomach only to dissipate as I turned around to see her watching me with that big ear-to-ear grin on her cute little face.
The one true love of my life....that she is.
Saturday, November 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment