Saturday, May 31, 2008

The Return Of An Old Friend

This morning my mother and I went to see the SATC (Sex and the City) movie. I'm not one for rushing to see movies the second it comes onto the big screen, however, for this one, I had to make an exception.

I'm a HUGE fan of Mr. Chris Noth, and could hardly wait to see his brooding dark features displayed on the B-I-G screen. I'll have to admit, I was a little disappointed, as he was probably only in 15 minutes of the 2:15 movie...but that's okay...I still have my nearly daily dose of Law and Order: Criminal Intent to get me through.

I wasn't one of those die-hard fans of SATC who have watched it from the beginning...in fact, I only got into it after it had been on HBO for several seasons. After my first marathon, it became clear that I was going to be hooked.

Samantha, Carrie, Charlotte, and Miranda became fast, fairy-tale, imaginary friends. I could turn on the tube and find comfort and solace in their stories, joyous and momentous occasions, and most certainly related to their heartbreaks. They became an important part of my 20s...and 30s.

I don't just relate to one character in particular, rather, I find certain aspects of each of their personalities in my own. Carrie's frenetic, almost neurotic pace; Samantha's zest for life and unfiltered ways; Miranda's need to control every situation that comes her way; and Charlotte's need for love, her deep and impassioned maternal instinct, and need for deep family ties. All of this defines me in one way or another.

So what did I learn from the movie today?

Without giving too much away...

  • I value my friendships ...the ones who have been with me through everything-the good, the bad, and indifferent, and still love me all the same. Without my close circle of friends, I truly feel as though I'd be a lost soul. Living life without a support network is not living life to its fullest.
  • Forgiveness is neccessary for success and happiness. If you're stuck in the past, the future will never amount to all that it should and can. I've had a difficult time in getting over several family related situations that are completely out of my control. Although seeing a movie isn't going to make it all better, it definitely was the encouragement I needed in order to put things into perspective.
  • Let go. Be yourself. Breathe once in awhile. What's the point in holding everything in, or back? It's about time that I stop trying to control everything. I'm ready to enjoy the ride, wherever it may take me.
  • Love. Above all...love yourself. Know yourself. Be yourself. It will bring you home, no matter how far away you go. Love is not about perfection, or good timing, and it grows in so many different ways...sometimes unexpectedly.
  • It's okay to be sappy and romantic. Unfortunately, one of my stronger personality traits (the TYPE A) often runs the show. I'm so much of a realist, at times it overshadows what's right in front of me.

Life is filled with so many surprises, and it's so far, definitely been quite the roller coaster ride. In the end, all that really matters is that you get up over every hill and continue on your way. There is no master plan. What one person may find to be true success, may not be the right fit or find for another.

I've recently begun to realize that I have to start to allow myself to put my hands in the air, rather than hold onto the safety bar for dear life. IF I can let go a little more, who knows where the ride will end. I might just be surprised at all the good things, just around the next bend.

No comments: