Over the past three years, this is probably the longest period of time I've ever gone without writing something. I've been so wrapped up in my new job, I've barely had time to think about much else. I suppose it's not necessarily a bad thing, however, I've sincerely missed my outlet.
All in all, things have been going well. I'm still glad I made the decision to go over to my new company...and the newness has yet to wear off. Now don't get me wrong, there are days were I'm overwhelmed, but its few and far between...
Last weekend was tough. A good friend of the family passed away. Over the past five years I'd grown to love Betty as though she were one of my aunts. She had quite a zest for life, and didn't let the cancer that eventually took over her body, take away her spirit or her kind and caring nature. She was truly one of those people you only come across a few times in your life, and I'm going to miss chatting with her at family get togethers. At her wake on Sunday, it all seemed surreal. It was clear that she was no longer inside her body, only the shell was left behind.
Wakes always make me think about what it would be like if I were to die. I know it sounds morbid, but the older I get, the more I realize that we don't have control over the future. She was only four years older than my father, and to be perfectly honest, it scares me. The thought of living life without either one of my parents, is not a good feeling for me. We're very close, and I speak to both my mom and dad at least five times per week.
My close friend's father passed away several weeks ago and he's someone I've known since I was 11. It was so hard to see my friend in pain, knowing that she had to say goodbye to the man who was her father...the person she so wanted to make proud. Every accomplishment, milestone, and success was partially for him. I feel very much the same way she did about their relationship with my own dad. My mistakes and failures are my own, but my achievements are his.
***
Tuesday, May 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment