Thursday, June 25, 2009

American Icons

What an odd odd day. First Farrah Fawcett, and now....Michael Jackson.
Farrah Fawcett was truly an American icon, initially just external beauty...but after watching the documentary detailing her cancer ordeal, I saw a strength that I never expected. Today is a sad day...and I hope she is at peace.

Michael Jackson...flashbacks to my Fisher Price record player...getting the Thriller album for Christmas...what a special treat it was. My brother wanted to be Michael. He had the glove and the clothes and pretty much everything he owned had his face on it. When I was 10 years old, I was given a limited edition red and black Michael Jackson jacket that I still have to this day...in pristine condition.

The Michael I choose to remember is not the one that hid behind a mask in recent years, and did odd and bizarre things. The musician...the person he was back as a child and in my own childhood will be the one I choose to hold onto. No one in my generation can say that Michael Jackson didn't affect their lives in some way. His music brought together people of all races. It brought emotional responses and joy.

On another note, Michael's story should be a cautionary tale. For those who choose to raise their children in the limelight...for those who think fame is more important than anything else...today's events should be a stern reminder that you should be careful for what you wish for. Fame and fortune isn't always as glamorous as it looks on television....

No comments: